07 June, 2007

The Bridge to Hawaii



A man was walking through the sand on the beach kicking at it and he suddenly hit something that popped out of the ground that proved to be a Magic Lantern. He brushed it off, pulled out the stopper, and there was a great gush of explosive force and huge Genie appeared right in front of his eyes.

“Thank you!! Thank you!!” said the Genie. “I’ve been cooped up in that thing for 12500 years, and I’ve had all kinds of time to think up all sorts of hell to raise, so my time is short. Normally I’d grant you three wishes but since I’m short on time you're only going to get one! Tell me what you want and don’t take too long.

The man thought a minute and then answered, ”I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii. Build me a bridge to Hawaii!”

“You’re out of your mind,” said the Genie, “all you have to do is take a boat or a plane!”

"It’s not that simple. I am terrified of heights and flying, and I get terribly seasick so I can’t take a boat and the only way left is to drive, so build me a bridge to Hawaii!!”

The Genie thought for a second or two then said, “Do you know how hard that would be? There’s engineering beyond belief; things to consider like undersea mountain ranges, sedimentation studies, tides, continental drift, ecology and environmental impact studies, permits, regulations, and bureaucracy! It will take too long and I won’t do it!! Make another wish!”

The man thought for a second then said, “Make it so I can understand Women!”

The Genie looked at him strangely, then paused, put his right elbow in his left palm, and began pulling and tugging fiercely at his beard as he thought about this problem. He sat down on a nearby hilltop and stayed for a long time, looking over at the tourist every once in a while, scowling and muttering under his breath.

Finally he heaved a great sigh, got up and went over to the man and asked:


“Two lanes, or four?”

No comments: